In this post we are going to discuss, top machine design interview questions asked by the interviewers.
- What is standardization?
- What is the preferred number?
- Define ergonomics
- What is creep?
- What is tolerance?
- What is fit?
- What are types are tolerance?
- What are unilateral and bilateral tolerances?
- What is a clearance fit? Give its examples.
- What is transition fit? Give its examples.
- What is an interference fit? Give its examples.
- What is the shaft basis system for giving tolerances?
- What is the hole basis system for giving tolerances?
- Give the steps involved in the design process.
- What are the advantages of the hole basis system over the shaft basis system?
- What is the fundamental deviation?
- What is selective assembly?
- Distinguish between interchangeable and selective assemblies.
- Explain the symbol for surface roughness.
- What is the factor of safety?
- Why it is necessary to use the factor of safety?
- What is stress concentration?
- What are the causes of stress concentration?
- What are the methods of reducing stress concentration?
- What is fatigue failure?
- What are the machine components that fail by fatigue?
- What is the endurance limit?
- What is fatigue life?
- What is notch sensitivity?
- What are the factors that affect the endurance limit of a machine part?
- What is a power screw?
- What are the applications of power screws?
- What is “overhauling” of the power screw? State condition for overhauling.
- What is the “self-locking” of a power screw? State condition for self-locking.
- State the applications where self-locking is essential.
- What is a stud?
- Why is hexagonal head preferred for cap screw instead of the square head?
- What is a bolt of uniform strength?
- What are the four basic elements of the weld symbol?
- Why are riveted joints replaced by welded joints?
- How is rivet specified?
- What is the common material for rivets?
- What is caulking? What is its objective?
- What is fullering? What is its objective?
- What is the function of the transmission shaft?
- What is a fillet? Why it is provided for the shaft?
- What are the types of stresses induced in shafts?
- Which theories of failure are applicable for shafts? why?
- Define equivalent torsional moment and equivalent bending moment.
- What do you understand by torsional rigidity?
- What do you understand by lateral rigidity?
- What is the permissible shear stress as per the ASME code?
- What are splines? Where do you use them?
- What is the difference between the coupling and clutch?
- What are the functions of spring?
- What is the spring index?
- What is the stiffness of spring?
- What is a surge in spring?
- Why belt drives are called flexible drives?
- State the law of belting.
- What is belt rating?
- What is creep in belts?
- What is the standard value of belt angle in a V-belt?
- How will you designate V-belt?
- What is the standard value of groove angle for V-pulley?
- What is polygonal action in roller chains? How will you reduce it?
- What are the types of failure in roller chains?
- What are the functions of bearings?
- What are the applications of sliding contact bearings?
- What are the applications of the rolling contact bearing?
- Why ball and roller bearings are called ‘antifriction’ bearings?
- Why taper roller bearings are used in pairs?
- Define static load carrying capacity of bearing.
- What is the L10 and L60 life of bearing?
- What are the objectives of lubrication?
- What is thick film lubrication?
- What is zero film bearing?
- What is hydrostatic and hydrodynamic lubrication?
- Why hydrodynamic bearings are called ‘self-acting’ bearings?
- Why hydrostatic bearings are called ‘externally pressurized’ bearings?
- Define Viscosity.
- State Newton’s law of viscosity.
- Why does viscosity decreases with an increase in temperature?
- What is the viscosity index?
- State desirable properties of good bearing material.
- What is SAE?
- What is the purpose of additive?
- In a gear speed reducer, why is the diameter of an output shaft is greater than that of the input shaft?
- What is herringbone gear?
- State important reasons for adopting involute curve for gear tooth profile.
- What is a full depth involute gear tooth system?
- What is pitting and scoring?
- What is a hunting tooth?
- Where do you use grease as gear lubrication?
- What is virtual or formative helical gear?
- What is crown gear?
- What is miter gear?
- State the material for the worm and worm wheel.
- Where do you use worm gear?
- Where do you use bevel gear?
11 thoughts on “Top 100 Machine Design Interview Questions”
My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and
thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
Look forward to looking over your web page for a second
An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who was doing a little homework on this.
And he in fact bought me breakfast simply because I stumbled upon it for
him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU
for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to
talk about this topic here on your website.
Its such as you read my mind! You seem to know a lot approximately
this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something.
I feel that you simply can do with some % to force the message home a little bit, however other than that, that is excellent blog.
An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
Thanks for wonderful info I was looking
for this info for my mission.
Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that,
this is excellent blog. A great read. I will
certainly be back.
Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation;
we have developed some nice practices and we are looking to swap techniques with other folks, why not
shoot me an email if interested.
I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never
found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as
you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.
Everything is very open with a clear description of the challenges.
It was really informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
Many thanks for sharing!
Very quickly this web page will be famous among all blog users,
due to it’s fastidious content
I got this web page from my buddy who informed me regarding this web site and now this time I am browsing this web site and reading very informative content at this place.
Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff prior to and
you are just too excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re
saying and the best way in which you are saying it.
You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it smart.
I can’t wait to read far more from you. That is really a tremendous web site.