The pedal powered washing machine is the machine’s best option for the areas where the availability of electricity is the main concern.
To run the washing machine electricity is needed and in the areas having electricity problem, it is difficult to run these machines. Hence, in order to overcome this problem, we have decided to design a pedal-powered washing machine that will be operated manually.
This machine is simple, lightweight, portable, and easy to operate. Pedal power is the transfer of energy from human sources mostly by the use of a foot pedal and crank system.
Introduction to Pedal Powered Washing Machine
Construction of Pedal Powered Washing machine
|Pedal Powered Washing Machine|
- Gear/ front sprocket
- Flywheel/ rear sprocket
- Outer drum
- Inner drum
Working of Pedal powered washing machine
- Open the outer and inner drum doors.
- Put the clothes in the inner drum and close the inner door.
- Pour about 5 to 10 liters of water and add detergent.
- Close the outer door and sit on a comfortable chair.
- Begin to cycle starting slowly and increasing the pace. Pedal for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the soapy water by opening the drainage screw at the bottom of the outer drum. You can add rinsing water and pedal for a short time. Remove the water. Drying will require a faster pedaling rate. The heat in the drum will also help dry the clothes.
- Now remove the clothes from the machine. The machine has to be maintained at regular intervals. A preventative type of maintenance every 5 years is more suitable. The components that require replacement are the sprocket, gears, and chain. The chain has to be greased regularly
- The pedal-powered washing machine is cost-effective.
- It is eco-friendly.
- It can be easily moved to another location.
- It requires less maintenance.
- Human effort is needed.
- The structure is complex.